Unfortunately, the pandemic COVID-19 posed some challenges around safety and also some process changes had to be implemented (e.g. confirming bed availability after the surgery-step 6). Patients get tested to determine their status (step 1).
Most surgical teams have a checklist (worldwide); the WHO has made some COVID-specific recommendations.
WHO recommended additions to the checklist
- Review the patient’s COVID-19 test results, symptoms, and/or risk factors
- Review the aerosolization risks of the procedure
- Confirm that all members of the operating room are wearing appropriate PPE
- Ensure in-room availability of all necessary equipment to minimize the number of times individuals enter or leave the operating room.
- Discuss handling, packaging, and transport of laboratory or pathology specimens
- Confirm appropriate postoperative bed availability